Stress testing KWin's screen handling

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 15:28:16 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 25 of November 2014 13:17:28 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I spent some time on screen management in KWin today and got it to the point
> where it doesn't fail any more no matter what I try. So please everyone
> using multiple screens and especially dynamically plug in and out, please
> give a try to the patch set in [1]. Please ensure to have latest master as
> it contains a crash fix for a crash triggered by the patch set.
>
> Short summary of the changes in the patch set:
> * uses XRandR instead of QDesktopWidget
> * uses KWin internal information about overall screen geometry instead of
> relying on the information in the X11 screen structure.
>
> The second part is the code I added today. My testing showed that unplugging
> a screen gives us proper XRandR events so KWin's internal is up to date,
> but the X11 screen information is wrong. So when we partially used the one
> and partially the other the rendering was just horribly broken. Now it's
> all based on the KWin internal information and I couldn't get the rendering
> broken any more.
>
> When changing screens please be patient. It takes time to settle the
> changes. Especially plasmashell takes quite some time on my system to
> render correctly again.

Coincidentally, I just merged my KScreen redesign, which should make this
faster.

> I hope that it doesn't fail for others and we can get the changes in to
> improve the situation.

So far it's much better than before, but still it sometimes happens, that
after screen reshuffle, window decorations get detached from the windows and
moved elsewhere. It just happened to me, after plugging in the 3rd screen:
http://pub.dvratil.cz/kwin-bug.ogv, but I'm not able to reliably reproduce
this.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348