Plasma port to Wayland

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 09:37:59 UTC 2014

Hi Pier Luigi,

Thanks for the updates, such a high-level overview is much appreciated. Some
question inline below.

On Monday 03 November 2014 12:45:14 Pier Luigi Fiorini wrote:
> As some of you might know I've been working on the Plasma port to Wayland.
>
> I would like to give you some pointers where the on going effort is.
>
> Last month I've been super busy with other stuff, but I plan to resume my
> work on Wayland during November.
>
> You can see it in action on my compositor, Green Island:
>
> http://imgur.com/8F4Emax
> http://imgur.com/Q69CB2v

Awesome. :)

> Here's the components I've been working on:
>
>   - kwayland
>
> git clone -b plasma kde:clones/kwayland/pierluigifiorini/plasma.git
>
> The plasma branch contains patches to add Plasma protocols.
>
> The wlscanner branch makes use of the new find module for wayland-scanner
> that I recently made; it can be merged as soon as a new ECM version comes
> out, see https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120656/
>
> All is currently rebased on top of master.
>
>   - kwindowsystem
>
> git clone -b wayland kde:clones/kwindowsystem/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>
>   - plasma-framework
>
> git clone -b wayland
> kde:clones/plasma-framework/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>
>   - plasma-workspace
>
> git clone -b wayland
> kde:clones/plasma-workspace/pierluigifiorini/wayland.git
>
> Ported ksplashqml and plasmashell (panels and desktop view); I'll reread
> the patch when I get back to this stuff.
> Review is not started: blocked by the review of my changes to kwayland.
> Currently rebased on top of v5.1.0

It would probably make sense to rebase on master, so the delta becomes a bit
smaller. I think it's time to start shipping cookies to Martin Graesslin to
keep him happy during extended reviews. :D

Otherwise, we're waiting for the ECM to be merged? The RR has a shipit, so I
guess that can go in, and we can proceed with merging other patches in. Do you
need any help with that?

sebas