Plasma Package -> Application Extension Framework?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon May 26 17:23:39 UTC 2014

On Monday, 2014-05-26, 10:58:06, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 24 May 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > Since I remembered reading about some form of packaging being developed
> > for
> > Plasma years ago I went to TechBase and read up a bit on Plasma Package.
> >
> > What are your opinions on having that in a generic "app extension"
> > framework? Are there any Plasma specific dependencies in the current code?
>
> It's currently done in the Package and PackageStructure classes, as David
> says, they have very few dependencies.

Right, that doesn't sound bad at all.

> One thing that is very plasma specific is internal, a set of
> "packagestructures" that are specific for plasmoids,wallpapers,shells etc.
> as well as the pluginloader class that creates the right type of package.

Some of the package structures might also make sense out of the Plasma context
I guess.
The one described on TechBase [1] looks like it would work for any application
where an extension can have its own UI.

> Would be nice to have it as an independent framework, but at the moment is
> fused into libplasma, and i wouldn't like to have that deprecated from the
> second release.

Right. I was mainly inquiring in principle, if this is something a new
framework could be based on or if it would have to be rewritten.

> Maybe it may be pulled out and not release it in the first release (keeping
> it semi internal, as is the libplasmaquick atm) and have the package
> framework released with the second frameworks release?
> (as i understand thay are every month anyways?)

Such a new framework would probably be in development for a couple of months
before its initial release so that it can be used by a couple of applications
to check that its API and feature set meets the needs of a more than one or
two host applications.

> Kevin: if you are in the frameworks meeting tomorrow can be discussed here
> if is possible, and how to do?

Unfortunately I am not really online the next two weeks due to being at a
customer on-site and only having Internet in the early morning and the
evenings.

In general I am hoping for some interest in the idea and potentially a BoF at
Akademy to discuss our scripting approach across applications.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/PackageOverview
KDE user support, developer mentoring