Plasma Package -> Application Extension Framework?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 26 08:58:06 UTC 2014

On Saturday 24 May 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> first please apologize if this is already under way or done and I am just
> not up to date enough :-)
>
> Basically I was thinking about application scripting, allowing power users,
> sysadmins, etc. to control or extend applications through built-in
> scripting capabilities.
>
> A couple of KDE applications do that already, e.g. Kate, but it is not a
> very common features.
> So my base line of thinking was that maybe we can help application
> developers by having common code and tools available as a framework.
>
> One of the features that would likely be interesting to most application
> developers is how to handle installation and runtime detection of available
> scripts.
>
> Since I remembered reading about some form of packaging being developed for
> Plasma years ago I went to TechBase and read up a bit on Plasma Package.
>
> What are your opinions on having that in a generic "app extension"
> framework? Are there any Plasma specific dependencies in the current code?

It's currently done in the Package and PackageStructure classes, as David
says, they have very few dependencies.
One thing that is very plasma specific is internal, a set of
"packagestructures" that are specific for plasmoids,wallpapers,shells etc.
as well as the pluginloader class that creates the right type of package.

Would be nice to have it as an independent framework, but at the moment is
fused into libplasma, and i wouldn't like to have that deprecated from the
second release.
Maybe it may be pulled out and not release it in the first release (keeping it
semi internal, as is the libplasmaquick atm) and have the package framework
released with the second frameworks release?
(as i understand thay are every month anyways?)

Kevin: if you are in the frameworks meeting tomorrow can be discussed here if
is possible, and how to do?

--
Marco Martin