Notification bloat (4.xx)

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat May 24 00:54:08 UTC 2014

There definitely needs to be better logic when it comes to showing certain
types of notifications. One of KDE's strengths is that all notifications
are channeled through the same system, and so KDE can control the behavior
of all notification interruptions.

I'm not sure at what level this "behavioral logic" needs to live -- I
assume knotify but I'm not 100% sure what all lives there versus plasma.

For example: You are downloading many files. Some take a short amount of
time, some take a long time. Regardless, it is not uncommon that you get
several notifications -- one after another -- to say: your file is down. It
would be trivial to the user to delay some of these notifications a few
seconds to minimize interruption. E.g., maybe don't show a notification of
the same type of message from the same application within x seconds.
Notifications that are not important can be hidden in the history.
Notifications that are important can have a delayed display until x seconds
has passed or the user isn't doing something important (like typing).

As I said, just one example. I'm sure we could come up with a dozen use
cases like this. I guess the question is if it would be worth it enough to
the user to invest in smart logic like this in the next version of knotify.

Many times applications currently control this some of this level of
behavior, but maybe it is something that should be enforced at the KDE UX
level?

Just a thought.

~ Celeste

Celeste Lyn Paul