Ship with Aurorae and Qtcurve or not...

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu May 15 11:35:21 UTC 2014

On 15.05.2014 12:16, David Edmundson wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Jens Reuterberg <jens at ohyran.se> wrote:
>> Ok so after the feedback from the Beta Release an issue that we knew was
>> coming have happened. Visuals being the most easily accessible bit of anything
>> technical, people have reacted negatively to the lack of change.
>>
> People always react whatever you do.
> Do not get influenced by Redditors/Slashdotters, they are all complete morons.

In this case, the thing is: For once, the trolls are right! I personally
still like Oxygen a lot, but people (not only trolls, but the majority
of people) are strongly influenced by design trends and do not perceive
something as "new" if it adheres to design trends of the past. Therefore
if we show them a Plasma Next which looks like "KDE4", people's first
impression will be "It looks like KDE4! So all the fuss about nothing?".
And the problem, from a psychological perspective, is this:
After a first impression has been formed (which is strongly influenced
by the look), an effect called "conformation bias" [1] kicks in, which
makes people focus on aspects that confirm the first impression.
Therefore they will tend to focus on everything which is _not_ new about
Plasma Next and neglect the things which are.
This means that the perception of Plasma Next as a whole (including the
technical aspects) is likely to be negatively influenced by the first
impression telling people "This doesn't look new at all!".

> I think the big question point is about making default.
> If we don't change their kde4 settings too the apps will look like a
> mess, if we do change it that's meddling with their existing setup
> when they install plasma next, which is more than a bit naughty.

So we're only talking about parallel installs of Plasma 4.X and Plasma
Next here, right? Because I honestly don't see any problem if people who
just upgrade from Plasma 4.X to Plasma Next get their applications' look
updated as well.

On a Project Neon ISO which ships only with Plasma Next (right?),
switching the default should not be a problem, should it?

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias