Ship with Aurorae and Qtcurve or not...

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu May 15 10:16:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Jens Reuterberg <jens at ohyran.se> wrote:
> Ok so after the feedback from the Beta Release an issue that we knew was
> coming have happened. Visuals being the most easily accessible bit of anything
> technical, people have reacted negatively to the lack of change.

People always react whatever you do.
Do not get influenced by Redditors/Slashdotters, they are all complete morons.

> The issue WOULD be more ok from my POV if it could be contained towards me
> personally but its affecting VDG work not to mention being a massive PR
> failure for Plasma Next as the chance to actually market it as Plasma and not
> KDE5 is slipping out of our grasp (not to mention the negative press it will
> garner, or as it is now - the current state of "not much press at all")

Get on kde-promo and talk about that.

> Talking about it we want to raise the issue of including Aurorae and Qtcurve
> by default again. I know there are technical drawbacks to this solution -
> drawbacks that I and many of us are simply not technically adept enough to
> understand fully and we will of course bend to your expertize on the matter -
> but the issue has come to a point now that we simply want you to reconsider
> and explore the options available one more time.

I have no problems with having it available and shipping it,
particularly the QtCurve part.

QtCurve performance isn't much different;
Getting technical:
  polish() is waaaaaaaaay faster
  paint() is a bit slower.

It's hard to say which is faster/slower and by how much as it then
depends on the app; and benchmarks are misleading and confusing.
In real world usage, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

I think the big question point is about making default.
If we don't change their kde4 settings too the apps will look like a
mess, if we do change it that's meddling with their existing setup
when they install plasma next, which is more than a bit naughty.

David