Fwd: [kconfig] src/core: Store app config file in ~/.config/<domain>/<app>rc

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 5 06:17:49 UTC 2014

On Monday 05 May 2014 07:25:37 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2014 23:53:40 David Faure wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > please note this change in KConfig.
> >
> > I would recommend making sure your applications call
> > app.setOrganizationDomain("kde.org") so that the config files go into the
> > right subdir right now. Otherwise you'll face migration issues later when
> > setting that.
>
> How does that affect setting configuration from a kcm? E.g. if loaded
> through systemsettings one could assume that setOrganizationDomain is set
> to "kde.org" which could break any kcm needing another organization domain.
> Or if a KCM sets this to foo.bar than any kcm not resetting to kde.org
> would break, wouldn't it?

I doubt KCMs use KSharedConfig::openConfig() or KConfig() without arguments.
That would lead to "kcmshell5rc" or "systemsettingsrc" right now.
Instead they surely name the config file they want to edit.

If that config file happens to be for a specific application (rather than
shared), then the KCM will need to open e.g. "kde.org/konquerorrc" instead of
"konquerorrc", indeed.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5