Notifications in Next

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Mar 24 15:35:56 UTC 2014

On 24.03.2014 16:21, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Kai Uwe Broulik <kde at privat.broulik.de
> <mailto:kde at privat.broulik.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Concerning the long notifications, I think when KMail lists subject
>     and sender of all (or like 5-10) new mails that's a valid usecase
>     imho. We do not have the possibility to show "x lines" all nowrap
>     and elided to the right (like Android does it with E-Mail
>     notifications [1]) but it's always just "text" :/
>

> Honestly I think this would be just working around the problem; KMail
> should just tell you "5 new emails" and not try to stuck everything in
> one small popup. After all it should just tell you that you have new
> mail, not try to be the mail client itself :)

Agreed. I find KMail's new mail notifications too verbose. Lionmail
solves this better imho: It just shows you there's new mail and on click
you can preview them and act on them.

>     Would it be possible to keep notifications shown and have the timer
>     start just on user interaction, so when you're not at your desk and
>     come back you see pending notifications right away without missing
>     them and they will then disappear after you started using the
>     computer again? I think that's what plasma does/did with apps in
>     auto-hide panels that demand attention.
>

> That would be nicely solved by the SNIs - they would sit in your panel
> just like on your android top toolbar, so you'd know you have some
> notifications, I wouldn't like to keep them on screen forever.

Wejust have to make sure that not every notification ends up as an SNI
in the end, because all devs think that their notifications are important.