Delaying the Alpha1?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:26:08 UTC 2014

Hey,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm pondering how much is the Thursday-to-be-tagged alpha worth, vs being a
> pain in the ass. We're facing a number of problems right now, let me list
> them:
>
> - We need some frameworks in newer-than-alpha1-version, notably
> kwindowsystem
> - plasma-framework needs to be repackaged, anyway
> - everybody is testing with latest frameworks, so even if we manage to
> build
> against the alpha1 of frameworks, how useful is testing then?

Note that the last release of KF5 was alpha2, the next one is beta already.

> - we have a whole bunch of pending work waiting
>
> You see, we've already learned by just trying to do an Alpha, and we're
> facing
> a number of problems. That's (almost) fine, it's why we do pre-releases in
> the
> first place.
> I'm pondering the possibility to delay the first alpha until we have a new
> alpha of frameworks, and then pushing it shortly thereafter, reducing the
> risk
> of a needed delta.
>
> The disadvantage is that we delay wide-spread testing, the upside is that
> the
> whole stack is much cleaner and actually possible to be sensibly packaged.
>
> This would mean:
>
> - getting all pending work in quickly, getting the split done, all before
> end
> of this month
>
> - no changes to plasma-framework or any other framework that is required
> for
> the Alpha between 28 April (tagging of frameworks alpha2) and Plasma Next
> Alpha 1 tagging (could happen the next day, or as soon as frameworks alpha2
> has been smoke-tested. Plasma Next packages have to work on latest
> frameworks
> pre-release

I'm a bit confused about the dates. I think you mean 28 March, which is
when KF5 beta1 will be tagged. Otherwise I agree, we should then switch to
the tag and use/test plasma only with that.

> - paying more attention to changes in frameworks to make sure the above
> works
>
> - we either skip on alpha, or we squish the schedule to make it fit
> (schedule
> could use some aligning to frameworks releases, anyway), (I'd prefer the
> latter)
>
> I'm undecided, but have been for two days, so I thought I'd bring it up
> here.
> What do you think?

Given the frameworks repackaging needed, I think it makes sense to wait for
their release. But that delays the Plasma alpha by 2 weeks. Which is fine I
think and I'd personally be in favor of.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer