Shadows on popups before initial rendering

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Mar 11 12:41:26 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 11 March 2014 13:25:00 David Edmundson wrote:
> I should probably have explained what my patch does in my email.
>
> I add an XAtom to Dialog. This Atom is set to true between
> construction and the first texture being rendered which we can tell
> from QQuickWindow then it is deleted.
>
> Then I patched the slidingPopup effect to look for this atom and
> suppress painting the window (and therefore shadows) whilst this atom
> is set.
>
> I did it this way, so that any other system using sliding popups but
> not setting my _KDE_PENDING atom will still work as before.
>
> It seems to work.

This is a hack which I won't accept in KWin, because it solves the problem at
the wrong location. KWin already supports suppressing any rendering event
before the window is ready (XSync extension). You can check for it in
client.cpp, property should be readyForPainting.

So I think that this is caused by Qt sending us the "I'm ready" before it's
ready. If it cannot be fixed there the _KDE_PENDING atom handling needs to be
moved into KWin core to extend the readyForPainting attribute to not have each
effect do it itself.

Cheers
Martin