Status of splitting the KDE Workspace repository

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Mar 11 12:09:25 UTC 2014

Dear Plasma,
As you might know, I've been looking into figuring out the new architecture
of the Plasma software in view of Plasma 2, following the discussions in
the last Plasma sprint [1].

So far, I've been looking into both kde-runtime repositories. The biggest
problem so far was that somebody went through the repositories and
commenting out the stuff instead of making them compile with KDE4Support.
This meant that most of us have been using mixed-systems with KDE 4 and KDE
* 5 components.

Things I will be doing in the next few days:
- cleaning up the root cmakelists file, make sure that packages are only
available to the modules that need it (e.g. if XCB is needed by KWin and
ksmserver, then find it once in each subdirectory instead of a global one)
- figuring out how libraries in KDE-Workspace are exported. I would say we
can consider KDE4WorkspaceConfig.cmake deprecated and then when things are
split we can make these export themselves properly.
- creating an internal structure similar to the repositories we're going to
create. i.e. having a plasma-workspace and a plasma-desktop directory as
well as a kwin directory (see [1]) and everything in kde-workspace/* in
these or a separate directory.
- starting to split out components out of it, following the wiki. It's
_VERY_ important that you go through it and if you know a better way of
doing something, you say it now.

Also, if somebody can give a hand on those, it will be very helpful.
Porting away from KDE4Support will be very welcome too (especially for
things not to be removed ;)).

Cheers!
Aleix

[1]