which product to use for bugreport?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jun 20 07:57:18 UTC 2014

On Friday 20 June 2014 10:49:48 Damian Ivanov wrote:
> KDE 4.11.5 as well as newer KDE's show the same behavior (couldn't
> test Plasma 2 but I'm quite confident it applies also there).
>
> The plasma plugins like taskbar do not respect NETWM_Type Property:
> The plugins properly omit windows that have NETWM::SkipTaskbar set,
> but as per netwm spec:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#idm140146176778
> 320
>
> "Applications should not set this hint if _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE already
> conveys the exact nature of the window."
>
> So applications which are of type NET::Dock or NET::Desktop should be
> omitted even if SkipTaskbar is not set, though they are shown in the
> KDE taskbar.

ah I *love* EWMH for being that precise ;-) Personally I would say it's so
weak that an application using Desktop or Dock cannot rely on all desktops
implying skip taskbar. I just checked KWin's sources and KWin also does not
apply any window type checks (though we have a wantsTabFocus which restricts
to Normal or Dialog).

Given the high regression potential (windows which used to be included aren't
shown any more - yes the one user's bug is the other user's feature) I would
highly recommend to not change the behavior in 4.11.

For KF5 and Plasma Workspace I would suggest to adjust KWindowSystem framework
to imply SkipTaskbar and SkipPager for some window types. If I see it
correctly only Dialog or Normal should be shown in taskbar and pager.

Cheers
Martin