Activity switcher problems [for Plasma and KWin teams]

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Jun 10 19:12:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the hangout today to discuss this (I'll
be mostly away for this week).

So, the issue is that:

1) the activity switcher opens up too slow. The user would expect for it to be
shown instantaneously. At first, my plan was to add a delay, check whether the
meta key is still pressed and then show the switcher (the same behaviour as
alt+tab), but that was not possible due to slow opening.

2) If the activities in plasma are not initialized, that is, the user didn't
switch to each of them at some point before invoking meta+tab (and keeping
meta pressed), plasmashell dead-locks for some reason. Which I haven't found
the source yet.

So, from what I see here, there are two things needed to fix this.

1) Make opening the activity switcher fast. That would need to throw away the
lazy loading that we currently have. And I'm not sure that would be a
sufficient improvement.

2) Make it a part of kwin (apologies to M.G. for this one). It could use the
same QML elements as the real activity switcher, but without the search bar
and the stopped activities that need to go away for meta+tab in any case.
Advantages for this would be that kwin already has a global instance of
KActivities::Consumer class, which means it keeps the cached list of
activities - no need for anything to be loaded on meta+tab apart from the QML
delegates.

Thoughts?

Cheerio,
Ivan