Plasma 5 branding

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Fri Jun 6 13:07:22 UTC 2014

Am Freitag, 06. Juni 2014, 12.04:09 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:

Good morning

> A decision needs to be made on Plasma branding because we are now a month
> away from release.

I agree absolutely and after a short chat with Jos below is the decision.

> I plan to use Plasma 5 for the generation of Plasma using KDE Frameworks 5.
>
> For technical numbers I'm using 4.97.0 for this beta and plan to release
> 5.0.0 in July.  Following releases will be 5.0.90 going for a release of
> 5.1.

Let's go with "Plasma 5" and for the first release "Plasma 5.0" (or 5.0.0,
depending on how you plan future releases?).

> That leaves the marketing release names.  My best idea is Summer 2014
> etc so this release will be the Plasma 5 Summer 2014 release.  This
> may annoy our antipodean and south american users however.
> Suggestions welcome but we do need to make a decision toot sweet.

Let's forget about a release name or something. Just call it "Plasma 5.0" and
we're done. As Ben said it's not everywhere Summer in July on this planet. And
it adds just confusion and no real value.

Let's make it fix: "Plasma 5.0" will be released in the beginning of July.

For the texts, announcements and release notes there may be used additional
terms like "the first release in the Plasma 5 series, the first Plasma 5
release, Plasma 5.0..." just to get a nice and fluent release text but that's
for the writers.

> And the term "Plasma release" should be avoided, it sounds squelchy.

After looking up "squelchy" (my dict didn't find it ;-) I might agree. But see
above.

Best regards
Mario (and a virtual Jos ;-)