Plasma 5 branding

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:59:05 UTC 2014

On Friday 06 June 2014 13:58:38 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > The marketing name is "Plasma". We want to avoid using the version
> > > number
> > > as  much as possible, but if need be, don't introduce something new,
> > > but
> > > use the technically correct version number -- anything else will just
> > > cause major confusion.
> >
> > So what's a good headline for this release will be Plasma 5 5.0 ?  Or
> > Plasma 5 first release?
> >
> > And the next version Plasma 5.1? Or Plasma 5 second release?
>
> Something along the lines of "New Plasma Major Version Brings Kittens
> Dancing on Rainbows, Improves Fluffiness All Around" -- user benefits
> instead of version numbers.
>
> As others pointed out, this needs a good discussion on the promo list.

I don't think it is hard - we'll do exactly as you write. We deal with that
in articles all the time. It's Plasma 5.0 (you lot didn't want plasma 2, so
it'll be 'KDE 5.0' in practice, I'm afraid) but that is a technicality which
we try to avoid. So yeah, we will might mention 'first release in the Plasma
5 series' or something but mostly we don't go into the x.y.z, certainly not
in titles.