Visual design for logout/login/lockscreen

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Jun 5 16:47:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After reading Aaron's nearly year old blog entry again this week (
> http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2013/05/visual-harmony-in-plasma-workspaces-2.html)
> , especially the following quote:
>
> > ...the log out dialog still has things that look like little push
> buttons and it still has inexplicable
> > picture on the left, despite now being written in QML and having all the
> power that implies.
> >
> > Plasma Workspaces 2 is our opportunity to improve these parts by
> harmonizing and modernizing
> > them. The log out interface ought to look like it belongs with the lock
> screen; the log in screen
> > ought to mesh with the splash screen...
> >
> >We have a couple people who can do this kind of work, but they have lots
> on their plate already.
> >This is a great opportunity for someone with a flair for design to get
> involved...
>
> I put a little effort into identifying a visual design that might get us a
> little bit closer. I apologize that I don't have any idea what work may
> have already been put into this area, so please don't take my ignorance as
> a dismissal of any work that has already occurred. I also shared this
> design with other members of the Visual Design Group and there were no
> objections to offering these designs here.
>
> Anyway here goes:
> Login: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/05/login_mockup.png
> Logout: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/03/logout_mockup.png
> Unlock: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/05/unlock_mockup.png
> Shutdown: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/03/shutdown_mockup2_1.png
>
> We're happy to provide any visual assets required, which shouldn't be
> much. (We already have a few to choose from). I won't speak to architecture
> since that's your wheelhouse, but my assumption is that the UI layer could
> be handled by the same QML package with enough hooks for the various
> existing underlying functionality to use. I would like to have offered up a
> QML package with this, but it's early days yet for my QML familiarity (but
> getting better fast). :-)
>
> Hope this is helpful and please let me know if there are any questions,
> Andrew Lake
> Community designer in the KDE Visual Design Group

Hi,
I've been trying to sort these out during this week, together with David.
I've pushed a new Lock and Logout implementations following these mockups.
They don't look like that yet but it's quite close and workable. The main
issue
being that we cannot hardcode a plasma theme from them, or maybe it's not
an issue.

Well, either way it would be interesting if somebody could take a look and
see what it feels like, then maybe we can iterate it forward.

Cheers!
Aleix