Minutes Monday Plasma Hangout

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jul 28 22:40:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 28 July 2014, Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Monday 28 July 2014, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > - Started mechanism to load stuff from Look and Feel packages
> > >
> > >   would like comment on https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119451/
> >
> > Based on the discussion with David in the hangout, i would still do:
> > - the look and feel package provides qml files for some parts of the
> shell
> > - most theme elements (icons, plasma theme, widget style etc) are usually
> > provided only referred in a config file
> > - if a theme wants to phisically provide something, like a plasma theme,
> > icon theme etc, it can, bout would be task of the kcm to either copy or
> > make a link of say, the icon theme in the proper directory where an icon
> > theme would be expected.
> > - or in alternative, the theme could be specified in the config file as a
> > full path, so for icons if you are using the "foo" look and feel package,
> > you could have in kdeglobals
> >
> > [Icons]
> > Theme=~/.share/plasma/lookandfeel/foo/icons
>
> comments on that?
> furthermore, how would you prefer to use it?
> as a standalone library? static in plasma-workspace stuff? in
> libplasmaquick?
> other?

Maybe we should have a library for accessing look&feel packages? I don't
think it belongs to libplasma, since libplasma is about applets and
containments management. We could have a library within plasma-workspace
that does this? If we need to expose it further we could consider at some
point, but I don't think it will be needed.

About how to tell what icon theme the look&feel package suggests to use, I
think that rather than specifying a path, it should be specifying a unique
identifier so that we know how to get it.
Something like
Themes=default:/breeze
or
Themes=kns:/diamond
or
Themes=bodega:/awesomefuturisticrainbows
or
Themes=http://...

Does that make sense?
Aleix