plasma5 and kde4 settings: what to synchronize

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 11:40:24 UTC 2014

Brainstorming: could distros we set $KDEHOME  to .config on new
installs? I can't decide if that will magically fix everything or
break things more horribly. I think the latter.

One possible fallback option would be to have a KCM button to open
kde4 system settings. It's in kde-runtime so should be still shipped
by any distro that has a KDE4 app; but it goes against the idea that
everything integrates perfectly and from a UI perspective rather
rubbish.

Besides that there's no single "magic bullet" solution to fixing
these, each KCM is different and handling conflicts between 4 and 5 at
once is different too.  There's not much else to suggest other than to
continue slowly adding fallback support for things there are enough
demand for :(