Plasma 5 RC

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Jul 7 09:16:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:36:00AM +0100, John Layt wrote:
> Co-installabilty of Plasma 4 and Plasma 5 with minimal work required
> by the distros is a must if we want to avoid the mess of KDE4.
> Already openSUSE has announced that you can't have both installed at
> once, which will force people to choose one or other, when what we
> really want is for them to be able to try Plasma 5 out while still
> being able to switch back to 4 if there are things that break their
> workflow.

They won't be co-installable just as konsole won't be co-installable
with its kdelibs4 version, it's a new version of the same programme.
But the parts that are used by applications, libraries and runtime
parts need to be co-installable so kdelibs4 and kf5 applications can
be installed on the same system.

Your e-mail also highlights a branding issue, now that we are calling
the new version of Plasma, Plasma 5 what do we call the old version.
I've been calling it Plasma 1 as that was the version number used and
it's not a good idea to be revisionist.

Jonathan