new systemsettings categorization landed

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Jul 1 16:25:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The new organization is surprisingly good. Surprisingly, because at for the
first 5 seconds, I wanted to say 'awful' but was unable.

There are a few things that could be fixed (not really organization, rather
naming):

- Do we really need the word 'Human' for the 'Input devices'?
- We have the word 'Desktop' in a few places where it could be removed or
replaced (Desktop behaviour, Desktop session, maybe more)
- Desktop behaviour -> Workspace contains only one checkbox
- Some things are singular (font, color) while the others are plural (icons).
Nothing wrong with this, but it would be good to actually enlist all those and
reasons for each being sing/plur. (for me, the strange one is 'font')
- "style" versus "theme"
- "desktop" versus "workspace"

> I don't understand why "File Search" (formerly Desktop Search) should go
> under Applications.

The Applications category is problematic, but if that came out from the user
survey, who are we to complain.

> Current application which can be used to search for files - Dolphin.
> Current workspace stuff which can be used to search - KRunner, Milou,

The same reasoning can be applied to other modules like file associations,
paths, and launch feedback.

Cheerio,
Ivan

KDE, ivan.cukic at kde.org, http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/