Proposed fix for issue 330115

sujith h sujith.h at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 06:14:45 UTC 2014

Hi Harish,

One more hack you can do is by following the thread :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/37753/how-can-i-get-apt-to-use-a-mirror-close-to-me-or-choose-a-faster-mirror.
So what I want to convey you is try changing the mirror. And lets see how
that will help you. Note: Please take a backup of your orignal sources.list
file. Try this only if you are *not* having trouble with downloading the gz
files mentioned by Shantanu.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Shantanu Tushar Jha <shaan7in at gmail.com>wrote:

> did you try apt-get update few more times? If yes, It could be that files
> above a size are blocked? Try downloading them manually and see if you get
> an error or something, the URLs which failed for you are-
>

> http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/saucy/universe/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
>
> http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM, R.Harish Navnit <harishnavnit at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Shantanu Tushar Jha <shaan7in at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is here-
>>>
>>> W: Failed to fetch
>>> gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/in.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_saucy_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
>>> Hash Sum mismatch
>>>
>>> W: Failed to fetch
>>> gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/in.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_saucy_main_binary-i386_Packages
>>> Hash Sum mismatch
>>>
>>> Which basically means something went wrong when downloading these files.
>>> Try sudo apt-get update few more times till this is fixed. If it still
>>> doesnt go away, try a different network connection. Failure to download
>>> these is causing the problems installing the packages.
>>>
>>> It could be because our college's internet service has a lot of
>> restrictions . It does have a lot of sites blocked. But I don't know if
>> packages would have been blocked . I always get such errors and we usually
>> neglect them .
>> Looks like I'll have to look for another network connection . This is
>> getting really tedious now  :P
>>
>> Regards.
>> R.Harish Navnit
>> The Enigma <http://harishnavnit.wordpress.com>