[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Markus Slopianka kamikazow at gmx.de
Thu Jan 23 13:46:38 UTC 2014

Am Donnerstag, 23. Januar 2014, 11:36:12 schrieb Martin Klapetek:

> Given that we're dropping the name KDE from the working desktop almost
> completely and changing it for "Plasma" (so you'll no longer run "KDE" on
> your PC but you'll run "Plasma") I hope this will prevent that.

Nothing will be prevented if the Plasma maintainers actually opt for "August
2014 Update of the May 2014 release of Plasma by KDE".

> If they
> call it Plasma 2 in the media, I don't care that much as long as it's clear
> what it actually is and that it has a clear relation to KDE.

Just yesterday I saw this blog post by our own KDE guys at Fedora and I quote:

"If you install kde5-workspace package, you can also have a sneak peek at what
Plasma guys are doing for Plasma 2! Your display manager should have “KDE
Plasma Workspace 2” entry in session types list, which will log you into
Plasma 2 session."
http://www.progdan.cz/2014/01/kde-frameworks-5-and-plasma-2-on-fedora/

KDE5 Workspace, Plasma Worspace 2, and Plasma 2 all mixed in a single
paragraph. Oh, and no word about these things just being tentative names.

Apparently our own guys are confused by the whole situation and that's even
before any public announcement of throwing even more confusing date-based
version numbers into the mix.

The media, btw, also reads Planet KDE. Therefore any "informal developer
slang" is adopted by them as well.
"August 2014 Update of the May 2014 release of Plasma by KDE" is NOT sane
marketing.

Oh, and btw: The plasma2 package has the version number 4.90.1 over there at
Fedora. Plasma 2 version 4.90.1 ... so unconfusing and by no means a road to
"KDE5"...

Markus