[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 14:04:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Markus Slopianka <kamikazow at gmx.de> wrote:

> Apparently our own guys are confused by the whole situation and that's even
> before any public announcement of throwing even more confusing date-based
> version numbers into the mix.
>
> The media, btw, also reads Planet KDE. Therefore any "informal developer
> slang" is adopted by them as well.
> "August 2014 Update of the May 2014 release of Plasma by KDE" is NOT sane
> marketing.

Yes, this happens because people still have no idea how to call the next
release. That's precisely why we started this proposal - to settle on a
name everyone can start using. Nobody knows the next name just yet, hence
the confusion.

Personally I think that if we have moved this forward already and not
pointing mistakes already done, we could have been done with it by now and
make it even official. Of course these things happen and will happen until
the original proposal will take effect. Or any other proposal, for that
matter.

> Oh, and btw: The plasma2 package has the version number 4.90.1 over there
> at
> Fedora. Plasma 2 version 4.90.1 ... so unconfusing and by no means a road
> "KDE5"...

You know, you're not really helping this effort much. I believe you mean
well, but keeping just bashing things is not constructive.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer