Notes from "Async and representation"

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:32:55 UTC 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014, Eike Hein wrote:
> General comment: Please note that these size hints aren't only
> there so the shell can decide which representation to pick, but
> at times also do things like:

on how the size hints would go and get propagated:

I would use the "Layout" attached property from QtQuickControls layouts, so
that's an official api
I've done a quick qml-only sketch there:
http://notmart.org/misc/appletmock.tar.bz2

just type qmlscene TestLayout.qml

one thing i would like to achieve is to have that applet component use all the
properties of the global plasmoid object, so AppletInterface would go away.
Yes, having a global object *and* another component as root object bothers me
so much that i consider it a dealbreaker for providing that applet component
at all.

A drawback however is that while it's probably possible, then containments
would have to be a different component, so they would have to provide *two*
main files, one for when it's an applet, one for when it's a containment.

one good point, would be that it would probably simplify the mechanics of the
systray a bit(moot point if the systray becomes a containment).

--
Marco Martin