Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 13:01:29 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Kai Uwe Broulik <kde at privat.broulik.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I hope I have used KMail's Reply-To-All feature correctly)
>
> > That actually brings another quesion - on which screen it should show up?
> > I'd put it wherever mouse cursor currently is.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> I think it depends on what kind of OSD. For Keyboard layout and Volume it's
> fine to show where the cursor is but for the brightness I think it should
> be
> shown on the display that actually is affected (the internal one) - I'd say
> people would know/expect pressing the screen brightness keys on a notebook
> changes the notebook's screen and not the attached beamer, so the OSD
> should
> be shown on the notebook screen.

Good point, thanks. I wonder if we can get that info from some component.

> Btw what about Keyboard brightness? I've just seen a mail from Martin
> Klapetek(?) to Jens about keyboard *layout* and *screen* brightness - we
> need
> a fancy monochrome icon for keyboard brightness, too, as the current
> generic
> keyboard icon doesn't work very for this.

Ah yes, I should have updated the list about that - I talked to Jens
shortly after and we came up with more icons than I requested originally,
including the "keyboard brightness" plus one for Wi-Fi being turned on/off
:)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer