Notes from "Async and representation"

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jan 18 07:58:03 UTC 2014

On Saturday 18 January 2014 01:11:54 Mark Gaiser wrote:

> I guess my arguments for going with the "Plasmoid" name rather then
> "Applet" are just ignored then?
> Sebas did gave "some" (few lines) explanation before my bunch of
> arguments. Yet i still think "Plasmoid" would suit it better.

I think the name got mentioned in this thread: Applet was the name already
used in the C++ world, see [1]. So for anyone doing porting from a C++ applet
to a QML applet, the name Applet will be more reasonable.

Personally I think Applet is a way better name as it is more generic and
people know what is meant with it, but Plasmoid is a domain specific name
people have to know. In the same way I went for Switcher in KWin although our
internal name is TabBox. The one is generic the other is domain specific (and
yes my QML code was first TabBox, then I thought about it and renamed all of
it). Of course Plasma already uses the name plasmoid in the API and honestly I
think that this is a mistake in the API.

Cheers
Martin

[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/plasma/html/classPlasma_1_1Applet.html