Systemtray breakout notes

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 19:09:40 UTC 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 19:38:30 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > - the calendar should move into the systray popup
>
> Why?

Same reason for moving all the others into the same popup: less visually
jarring transitions, less different popups.

> The calendar is part of the clock, that will remain the same i suppose?
> Following that logic, it will never be in the systray at all.

They're supposed to share the same popup. Let's see how this pans out. If it
doesn't work well, bummer. If it does, it could be a really nice improvement.

> > The XEmbed systemtray mechanism will not be supported anymore, instead we
> > will attempt to merge support for statusnotifieritems into Qt (for
> > QSystemTray). Other desktops are going a similar route.
>
> Please don't use excuses as "Other desktops are going a similar
> route.". They might, but they suck at doing it in my opinion.
> I'm guessing you aim at windows 8 and perhaps gnome here. Otherwise,
> please do share more details.

Patches to implement it are welcome. :)

Seriously, have you looked at the protocol? Have you looked at the
implementations that would be possible? It's easy to say "I want that", but
that ignores the whole decision space for this. It's impossible to integrate
it, there's no way that's even remotely sane to implement this on Wayland,
it's impossible to do this in a way that's visually consistent, and that's
just the tip of the iceberg.

> > Feedback, as usual, welcome. :)
>
> Most of it sounds good, but it's a bit difficult to picture it. Could
> you make some before and after mockups in conditions where this would
> be visible to the user?

Lacking imagination, I think you'll have to wait for this work to appear in
code. I lack both time and skills to do mock-ups of all of this.

sebas