Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:46:28 UTC 2014

Hey all,

following are the notes from the "New OSD in Plasma 2" discussion we had
here at the Plasma sprint.

The basic idea is that the shell should provide a way for certain apps to
display a short passive transient notification. That includes things like
when user changes brightness, volume, changes the keyboard layout, virtual
desktop or activity and possibly few others.

This would be handled over DBus with custom QML files doing the rendering.
The flow is as follows: user changes volume - kmix sends a dbus signal -
plasma has a slot handling that signal - plasma loads the QML file for
rendering and puts it on screen with special window class - kwin gives it
extra love cause of the win class.

We are reluctant to provide a general API which all apps could abuse;
that's to be refined after listing all the usecases we want to support.

That's all from that session, ask if you have questions.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer