Notes from "Tooling for Plasma2"

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:38:49 UTC 2014

Hey all,

following are notes from the "Tooling for Plasma2" discussion we had here
in the sprint.

Problems we currently face in Plasma (more details below)
 - no real quality management
 - we have no backtrace from QML
 - no way to easily fully test plasmoids standalone
 - weak upstream relation (with Qt)
 - plasma-shell output is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge
 - no bugs triaging
 - no maintainers
 - url interceptor problem

Standalone plasmoid testing
 - a "test" directory should be added to Plasma Package, containing basic
test for plasmoids
 - an env variable that would crash the plasmoid on warnings would be useful
 - make plasmoidviewer an actual "viewer", ie. don't place the plasmoid in
another containment inside it, but be the containment for it
 - there's no way to attach QML debugger to plasmoids, David Edmundson will
investigate
 - a possible idea is to have tiny app embedding qmlscene to allow QML
debuggers on plasmoids
 - plasmaengineexplorer should have modeltest added by default
 - quite useful would be to have a way to test every QML component of a
plasmoid separately

Weak upstream relation
 - we don't really tell upstream when we don't like something
 - we should actively (or more actively) suggest improvements to things
that matter to us
 - we should also point out to the upstream where we see problems

Plasma bug situation
 - possible solution for current bug situation is to make really clear what
we do support and what not
 - only maintain the core (the things we support^), say "sorry" for the
rest (we can't fix everything, pragmatically)
 - figure out a way to nicely deprecate old (Plasma1) bugs
 - START CARING about our bugs for Plasma2
 - Martin Graesslin wanted me to put "Best practices" here

Maintainers
 - once we sort out bugzilla, make default assignees for components

Alex promised to help porting all the X11 and Wayland stuff.

That's all the notes, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer