Animation durations

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Mon Feb 3 09:59:50 UTC 2014

The issue here is not only about the length of animation but the STYLE of
animation. This is of course my own personal small tests on friends/family
(they are hardly anywhere near definitive or even scientific) but the most
hated bit isn't the speed but things like the "lagging animation".

You know the one where an exaggerated "click box" hoovers after the mouse
pointer in system tray and on the netbook layouts "Search & Launch"? You can
still click - it doesn't say anything, it doesn't give the user any
information - its simply decoration. But every single one got annoyed and
ignored clicking until it became "aligned" with the mouse pointer.

Speed in sliding windows or for that matter things like the launcher can be
annoying since again its only decorative. (personally I turn off all
animations but thats just me)

Plus there are two issues at play here:
1) Should the speed be configured by the user
2) How the hell do you configure the speed?

I'd think that the second demands a fresh look at system settings and how they
are laid out and how to make them more easily navigated, interacted with and
uniform.

The first one I'd say: set the speed and style of animation (lets just set a
good speed) - just make it editable at most base level with three speeds
described as words. (like it is now) Then if possible let the style be
predefined or handled by the effects tab?

Since we don't have time for making a thorough research into it and barring
whether we can find any I'd suggest let us the devs test it at home and
publish suggestions here and then assume that whatever sticks is the correct
one.

tl;dr If configurability becomes even a slight issue, ignore it and we set the
speed.
"Carthage should be destroyed" addendum: We need to look at the system
settings.