Animation durations

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Feb 3 09:45:21 UTC 2014

On 03.02.2014 00:50, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sunday 02 February 2014 16:59:00 Marco Martin wrote:
>>
>> i'm not sure if configurability is a good idea at all.
>
> Could you please elaborate on rationale behind this? Is it just technical?
>
>> the only this that should be configurable is the possibility to centrally
>> disable all animations.
>> if due to that central configuration units will report 0 as those lengths,
>> that's ok
>
> I like the fact that I can still have animations, but that they aren't very
> slow and annoying.
>
> To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi - "Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

Since animations being too slow is a criticism I often heard about
Plasma 1, I agree with Vishesh here. Configuration on the level of exact
milliseconds dwould not be a good idea, but being able to choose between
a few distinct speed levels could make sense. If people could set the
exact values, they might set slightly imperfect values, where they'd not
consciously notice the imperfection, but it would still _feel_ "wrong"
to them.
That's why the exact values for these levels should be based on either
published scientific research or our own studies (I'd prefer published
studies if we find them, because conducting such studies well would
require a lot of work). We'd want sensible levels that work well.

tl;dr: +1 for configurability in general, but _we_ pick the exact values.