VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:52:27 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 26 August 2014 21:26:42 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> the VDG told me to take a look at the system tray after the 5.0
> releases, because even though it's a huge step forward, we felt that
> there are some inconsistencies in how it behaves. My task was to
> identify these issues and come up with possible solutions. We talked
> about them already and think it is now time to come forwards with our
> suggestions. If these ideas are accepted we'll deliver guidelines on how
> to integrate an application nicely into the system tray.

so ,as a conclusion, I want to try to do a very bare bone recap:

* there seems to be too many icons in the popup, especially some that don't
really do much
* completely hiding icons of statusnotifiers of applications gives problems,
because makes those applications unreachable for all intents and purposes
* however should be pretty safe to hide plasmoids: with a possible state more,
things like the device notifier can be completely hidden when empty
* an extra state for statusnotifiers may cause problems for unity and the two
gtk clients.
* completely hide vs an extra layer of show/collapse what's better?

* As a first action item, completely hide really empty plasmoids (it would be
up to the plasmoid logic to decide that with setting the proper state on
itself)

* Still open problem: less crowded popup, but still being able to access
applications that are accessible only by their systray icon

--
Marco Martin