Wayland protocols

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Aug 22 05:24:50 UTC 2014

On Thursday 21 August 2014 23:48:38 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Ok, SLC BOF scheduled for 10th Sept, 10:30-12:30. Part for wayland and
> internals talk, part for UI and other things.
>
> > like to know internals of the windowing system
>
> IDs are not really internals - we need to be able to identify windows
> outside of kwin (task manager, slc, ... any client of a public api in
> kwindowsystem which relies on ids) - it is of no importance whether /these/
> IDs are the same as kwin's internal IDs, but I guess that it would be an
> unnecessary complication.

no, the task manager does not need an ID. The use case of the taskmanager will
be well served with wl_surface* pointers or wl_kwin_surface* pointer or
whatever. It does not need the id to identify the window.

For KWindowSystem there will be lots of API which will not work on Wayland,
just like it doesn't work on Windows or OS X. KWindowSystem is an API tailored
to abstract X11, but neither Wayland nor Windows nor OS X are X11.

Cheers
Martin