Wayland protocols

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:48:38 UTC 2014

Ok, SLC BOF scheduled for 10th Sept, 10:30-12:30. Part for wayland and
internals talk, part for UI and other things.

> like to know internals of the windowing system

IDs are not really internals - we need to be able to identify windows
outside of kwin (task manager, slc, ... any client of a public api in
kwindowsystem which relies on ids) - it is of no importance whether /these/
IDs are the same as kwin's internal IDs, but I guess that it would be an
unnecessary complication.

Ch!

On 20 August 2014 17:23, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 August 2014 16:41:23 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > > Personally I don't understand why kamd needs to know the internal Id
> of a
> > > window. Is this really needed or could it solved differently (e.g.
> using
> > > additional interface/requests which kwin then forwards to kamd)? If not
> > > it's about time that we express the need for a global id in the
> > > xdg_shell.
> > WIds are mostly for tracking the focussed one. It can go through kwin, I
> > don't mind, as long as kamd gets document events for specific windows -
> and
> > get window events through kwindowsystem.
> >
> > Note that it is not only about events going from a window to kamd, but
> also
> > in the other way. (kamd/slc needs/will need/... to be able to call a
> method
> > back in the window sometimes, and get the value - this can go through
> kwin
> > as well, but that seems like an unnecessary complication)
> >
> > What do you think about creating a share-like-connect bof at akademy? We
> > could discuss this in more details there - slc is the most complex part
> of
> > the story.
>
> Yes, let's do a BOF. I still have huge problems understanding why anyone
> would
> like to know internals of the windowing system. If I properly understand
> the
> usecase it's easier to come up with an appropriate solution.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

KDE, ivan.cukic at kde.org, http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/
gpg key id: 850B6F76