Wayland protocols

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Aug 20 09:15:32 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 20 August 2014 10:26:22 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2014, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > So, either the window needs to know its id, or it needs to be able to
> > resolve the id through kwin and kwin passes the info to kamd, or
> > something.
>
> so, in a nutter-shell, QWindow::winId to be the same as the id that KWin
> would store internally i guess

I did look into it a little bit:
* wl_surface: no id
* wl_shell: no id
* xdg_shell: two requests carry an argument of type "new_id", but I don't know
what this type is and it's not documented in the interface description. It's a
request to the server and not an even to the client, so seems client picked.

Overall that looks like there is no concept of global window ids yet in the
wayland protocol.

Personally I don't understand why kamd needs to know the internal Id of a
window. Is this really needed or could it solved differently (e.g. using
additional interface/requests which kwin then forwards to kamd)? If not it's
about time that we express the need for a global id in the xdg_shell.

Cheers
Martin