Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Aug 15 20:02:56 UTC 2014

> [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> Of course, read the subject, we are speaking about Plasma here, not about
> random applications [...]

I did consider the subject, but through other messages I got a feeling the
discussion had broadened. For my part, I don't see why we would ponder about
this for Plasma alone, without relation to other things.

This particularly holds for the idea of warning in the language KCM. As this
KCM is supposed to be used to choose the language of everything, and not
just of the Plasma workspace.

> [...] random applications never had a $PERCENTAGE limit.

They had it where the application's maintainer/release person decided to put
one up, e.g. http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=128026717907347 .

As for the "official" limit that was/is applied for KDE SC language packs, I
personally always regarded it as a proxy for commitment of a language team,
rather than as a measure of release-sufficient quantity on its own.

> Also I hope you're not suggesting a per langauge per application
> $PERCENTAGE limit, are you?

I'm not suggesting it practically, no. Because I don't expect anyone would
have the persistence to maintain a huge list of percentages for one's own
language.

On the other hand, a single percentage per language for everything, default
at 0%, would be feasible...

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> I was thinking of a case where the user picks up a (glibc) locale in the
>> login manager and that's it.
>
> [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> Yeah, that was already suggested by Luigi, and it's covered in the
> "update" scenario, nothing hard at all.

I admit I didn't understand the bit about "update" scenario.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)