Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Wed Aug 13 20:22:59 UTC 2014

>> [: Albert Astals Cid :]
>> Yes, every language having different threshold is a mess and does not
>> help with the setting expectations correctly.
>
> [: Luigi Toscano :]
> Translators: please share your views, there have been only few answers

The core of this (any many other) issue is the question of purpose: why have
translations at all? To many people the answer seems so natural that they
don't stop to think about it. The two extremes are:

1) Translation is there strictly to help out users who have poor to no
knowledge of the source language (English). In this case there is no point
to a release threshold. Having one in ten application messages translated is
better than zero in ten.

2) Translation is there as a stylistic matter of preference of one's native
language. In this case release thresholds must be high and carefully
crafted. Having one in ten application messages translated is like having a
novel with one in ten paragraphs translated.

Where between these extremes the answer falls, depends not only on
"language" (i.e. on the culture), but also on the translator and on the
user. Some examples were already given in this thread, I'll just add this
one: in my culture, I've heard many people state they avoid translations
because they do not like to have a mix of translated and untranslated
applications (i.e. even if all those translated would be 100% translated).

So, I agree with the proposal that if thresholds are there, they should be
controllable by the teams.

For the data point, I'm all the way at (2) above. There are no incompletely
translated catalogs in sr/ directories. If a dependent set of catalogs
systematically cannot be kept at 100%, it gets removed (made easy through
the summit).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)