Wayland protocols

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Aug 15 05:35:51 UTC 2014

On Thursday 14 August 2014 21:05:01 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2014, Pier Luigi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just pushed some initial draft of the Wayland protocols on Github [1]
> >
> > I need people with knowledge of KF5 and plasmashell to comment it and
> > suggest improvements.
>
> just some quick comments after taking a quick glance at
> https://github.com/plfiorini/protocols/blob/master/shell.xml
>
> since i'm just getting into it now, those question are mostly to understand
> it better myself ;)
>
> * set_position
> since often is needed to set position and size, maybe a set_geometry that
> does all in one go?
>
> * set_grab_surface
> just little clarification: "The surface set by this request will receive a
> fake pointer" what exactly is its use case?
>
> * set_desktop_role/set_config_role etc
> maybe set_surface_role(output, surface, enum role) ?
>
> * prepare_lock_surfaces: why a separate step from lock()?
>
> * quit: would that be equivalent to logging out?

some more thoughts:
* set_overlay_role: should we make the name more explicit:
set_on_screen_display_role?

* concerning the lock/unlock: I would like to have the lock way better
integrated in KWin. That is KWin should be responsible for locking and nobody
else. My though is that KWin takes over the screen locker dbus interface and
starts the screenlocker greeter  when it's needed. It could pass a dedicated
fd to greeter and thus would know that it's the lock screen surface
implicitly. That way we would not need a protocol at all and it's completely
controlled by KWin.

* add_trusted_client: I kind of don't understand how that's supposed to work.
Where's the fd coming from and how does the shell user know about it?

* quit: could you please elaborate why you think it's needed? I'd assume the
server would get terminated by some higher level process once the session is
torn down.

Which processes do you intend to use this protocol? To me it looks like
combining things from ksmserver and plasmashell.

Cheers
Martin