Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Aug 13 09:38:33 UTC 2014

El Dimecres, 13 d'agost de 2014, a les 01:09:04, Luigi Toscano va escriure:
> Albert Astals Cid ha scritto:
> > After talking to a few people here in Randa about this issue, I come with
> > an updated suggestion.
> >
> >  * We ship all translations that are over a very low limit (say 5%)
> >  * When selecting a language in the language KCM that has less than
> >
> > $PERCENTAGE we show a dialog saying something like "Yo man, we know the
> > translation of Plasma is not completed into this language, at the moment
> > is at $CURRENTPERCENTAGE, you are still free to use it, and if you want
> > to cotnribute to improve it, plz go to $SOMEURL" <- needs better wording
> What would happen when the language is automatically chosen based on the
> system one (i.e. the user does not pass through the KCM)? Probably like the
> upgrade point described below.

Yes. Same procedure.

> > This way we set the expectations correctly, and people that prefer running
> > translated even if it's just 23%, can do it, and people that think that
> > running low-translated software is a SIN are told and can't complain
> > anymore.
> >
> > Probably we want to do this in other situations like startup of plasma
> > after an upgrade, etc.
> >
> > I'd suggest $PERCENTAGE to be quite high, something like 90% we used to
> > have for kde-runtime.
>
> But is this going to be the percentage of what? plasma-desktop,
> plasma-frameworks, and also other frameworks used by Plasma? Or...?

Whatever we want, that is not a problem.

> Would you oppose the a by-language team threshold if the code to maintain it
> in the release scripts magically popped up?

Yes, every language having different threshold is a mess and does not help
with the setting expectations correctly.

I mean why would every different language need a different threshold?

Cheers,
  Albert