Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Aug 12 23:09:04 UTC 2014

Albert Astals Cid ha scritto:
> After talking to a few people here in Randa about this issue, I come with an
> updated suggestion.
>
>  * We ship all translations that are over a very low limit (say 5%)
>  * When selecting a language in the language KCM that has less than
> $PERCENTAGE we show a dialog saying something like "Yo man, we know the
> translation of Plasma is not completed into this language, at the moment is at
> $CURRENTPERCENTAGE, you are still free to use it, and if you want to
> cotnribute to improve it, plz go to $SOMEURL" <- needs better wording

What would happen when the language is automatically chosen based on the
system one (i.e. the user does not pass through the KCM)? Probably like the
upgrade point described below.

> This way we set the expectations correctly, and people that prefer running
> translated even if it's just 23%, can do it, and people that think that
> running low-translated software is a SIN are told and can't complain anymore.
>
> Probably we want to do this in other situations like startup of plasma after
> an upgrade, etc.
>
> I'd suggest $PERCENTAGE to be quite high, something like 90% we used to have
> for kde-runtime.
But is this going to be the percentage of what? plasma-desktop,
plasma-frameworks, and also other frameworks used by Plasma? Or...?

Would you oppose the a by-language team threshold if the code to maintain it
in the release scripts magically popped up?

Ciao
--
Luigi