Should favourites be shared between launchers, and launcher instances?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Aug 10 18:55:38 UTC 2014

On Sunday 10 August 2014 18:44:44 Eike Hein wrote:
> * It may be that favorites are special because they are not
>    launcher config at all, but an extension of the menu data,
>    which is already shared state between launchers.

This is the crucial point for me. Admittedly I don't have user data to support
this yet (but we could easily ask some users to find out), but I assume that
from a user's perspective, whether an application is a favorite or not is
indeed an attribute of the application (or technically its menu entry) and not
of the Plasmoid.
Subjectively, people declare an application as a favorite, not tell the
launcher that it should include an application in a specific list.

If we want to know what mental model people have of this, we could easily ask
them. If each person reading this email would just ask a few people (both
regular Plasma users and users of other desktops/operating systems would be
interesting) whether they see the favorites list as part of the launcher
configuration or as a property of the application, we'd already have valuable
data.
Should we do this?