Should favourites be shared between launchers, and launcher instances?

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Sun Aug 10 15:48:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

Since most people are ignoring threads that start with 'Review request', I'm
restarting the discussion in a new one.

(I'll write like nothing was discussed earlier and let Eike and Marco rewrite
their thoughts, and I'll skip my position on the topic not to influence anyone
- at least in this message)

So, here it goes.

Currently (both in plasma 1 and 5) we have separate favourite applications in
the different launchers (tested Kickoff/P1, Kickoff/P5, Kicker/P5,
Lancelot/P1). Kicker goes even further - it keeps different favourites for
different instances of the applet.

The question we are facing now is what should we do to remove this
inconsistency:
0 - leave things as they currently are
2 - make all launchers keep separate favourites for different instances (like
Kicker does currently)
3 - make all launchers keep separate favourites, but with only one set of
favourites per launcher, no matter how many instances it has (Kickoff,
Lancelot)
4 - make all launchers and their instances share the favourites (like Plasma
Active kinda did)

This is also related to activities because we want to have different
favourites per activity (while retaining the possibility to create a favourite
that is on all activities[1]).

It would be nice if we could collect the pros and cons of the different
options, and later decide which one has the most benefits compared to
downsides.

Cheerio,
Ivan

[1] http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2014/07/27/per-activity-favourites-in-kickoff/