FYI: multi-threaded rendering is disabled in Qt for all of mesa

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 16:31:20 UTC 2014

On Monday 28 April 2014 16:45:08 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2014, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > that's kind of a follow-up to my mail to try running KWin with
> > QSG_RENDER_LOOP=basic.
> >
> > After I updated qtbase I noticed that my KWin became way more stable
> > without the env variable and looked at the blacklist and noticed the
> > commit copied below.
> >
> > Looks like the asserts in xcb are history. It's not good that the threaded
> > renderer is disabled, but not crashing > multi threading.
>
> interesting. (also, we have then to review our crashes to see what's
> reproduible now)
>
> even tough, i'm not that optimist on nvidia and catalyst being less crashy
> towards multithreading :p

Given that we now have a setup used by most (Intel+Radeon) and a setup used by
some (NVIDIA) users, it might make sense to switch to single-threaded by
default. Investigating issues depending on whether single or multi threaded
renderer will be used, sounds like lot of "fun" (works for me - oh are you
using an NVIDIA?, Marco you are the only NVIDIA user, aren't you? Could you
please look into it?)

At least for KWin I will prepare a change tomorrow.

Cheers
Martin