Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 09:16:25 UTC 2014

On Friday, April 25, 2014 17:21:55 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2014 11:53:49 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > One has to take history into account here. While cleaning up the Kickoff
> > UI, I've removed the "branding" button. This small text is a useful
> > replacement>
> > for that:
> >
> > - Distros want to have the distro name somewhere in the UI
> > - Users need the name for support inquiries (otherwise, finding out the
> > name of the OS is hard and different for distros, barring command line)
> From what I've seen, it doesn't show the distro name, but the full
> hostname,  which is a technical thing which ordinary users probably won't
> understand anyway.

Can you show a screenshot? It should show the short hostname and the distro
name. Perhaps a bug?

> Plus, I'm sure we can find better places for branding than the place where
> the  filter bar used to be.

Well, it's still less elements in the UI, that's a win in my books.

> > Just yanking it out creates new problems.
> >
> > Type to search is used in other applications as well, without input bar:
> >
> > - Firefox: search in webpages
>
> Which version are you referring to? In Firefox 28, when I start typing
> without  having anything focused, nothing happens. No search starts.

That seems to have been yanked (could've been long time ago, I haven't used
Firefox a lot lately).

> > - kmail's move to folder
>
> Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "move to folder". Could you please
> elaborate?

Hit m on an email in kmail, it will pop up a folder selection dialog. Then
just type a substring of one folder name.

> > The underlying issue might be that it's understood as search, while it
> > really is _filtering_, and then it happens to be not so uncommon anymore
> > do it like this. The fact that we're using runners for it is entirely not
> > interesting to the user, it also means that we should not just enable more
> > runners here. Kickoff is simply not a search-optimized UI. I agree with
> > Vishesh that as Kickoff is now, search has no place in there.
>
> "Filter as you type" is common in GNOME/GTK software, but not in KDE
> software.  If we want to establish this as a new pattern, it should be
> implemented in more than just one place (plus some place in kmail which I
> apparently wasn't aware of yet).

I think it's a useful pattern, and we should patternize it, which probably
means documenting. I'd suggest to try with the current implementation in
Kickoff, and see what user feedback we get (i.e. bugreports).

sebas