Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Apr 25 15:21:55 UTC 2014

On Thursday 24 April 2014 11:53:49 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> One has to take history into account here. While cleaning up the Kickoff UI,
> I've removed the "branding" button. This small text is a useful replacement
> for that:
>
> - Distros want to have the distro name somewhere in the UI
> - Users need the name for support inquiries (otherwise, finding out the name
> of the OS is hard and different for distros, barring command line)

>From what I've seen, it doesn't show the distro name, but the full hostname,
which is a technical thing which ordinary users probably won't understand
anyway.
Plus, I'm sure we can find better places for branding than the place where the
filter bar used to be.

> Just yanking it out creates new problems.
>
> Type to search is used in other applications as well, without input bar:
>
> - Firefox: search in webpages

Which version are you referring to? In Firefox 28, when I start typing without
having anything focused, nothing happens. No search starts.

> - kmail's move to folder

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "move to folder". Could you please
elaborate?

> The underlying issue might be that it's understood as search, while it
> really is _filtering_, and then it happens to be not so uncommon anymore to
> do it like this. The fact that we're using runners for it is entirely not
> interesting to the user, it also means that we should not just enable more
> runners here. Kickoff is simply not a search-optimized UI. I agree with
> Vishesh that as Kickoff is now, search has no place in there.

"Filter as you type" is common in GNOME/GTK software, but not in KDE software.
If we want to establish this as a new pattern, it should be implemented in
more than just one place (plus some place in kmail which I apparently wasn't
aware of yet).