Qt Quick Controls style

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 18:31:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Aleix Polwrote:

> I'm not aware of a way to implement a QStyle in QtQuick. We have tons of
> applications written in QtWidgets that probably never will change. Whatever
> we decide to come up with, needs to have QtWidgets in mind.

Oh yes, I certainly think there should be some kind of QStyle-based
solution for QWidget apps, but not one worth spending endless amounts of
time getting pixel perfect in my opinion. I'm just advocating that since
new UI layer work or substantial UI overhauls are done in QtQuick, that the
forward-looking styling mechanism for those apps be an actual QtQuick
Controls Style, instead of a QStyle that the QtQuickControls style uses to
render the controls. I think that approach is perfectly fine in the very
short term for continuity but in the near to medium term we'll be right
back to where we started when we want to update the UI controls design
again and we go through this cycle of needing *someone* to implement a C++
QStyle even when much of the new UI work is being done in QtQuick and the
styling is vastly easier to implement in QML.

So without belaboring the point I was sharing my own (admittedly narrow)
view that, beyond the very short term need for continuity, I think a
good-enough QStyle paired with an actual (non C++) QtQuick Controls Style -
for which there will be more resources to maintain and updated to satisfy
any visual design - will best serve the UI controls visual design needs. :-)

Much respect,
Andrew