Widget and windeco themes for Plasma Next

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 13:31:22 UTC 2014

I think it was already discussed and mutually decided that the path forward
is to continue using Oxygen as default widget and windeco for at least the
first Plasma Next release. The VDG work in these areas will be optional at
best so that we can get some real world validation before making them
default.

During that validation period the windeco theme will be QML which will be
ported to C++ in order that it can be used as the default somewhere down
the line.

For the widget theme, we will continue to use the QTCurve settings to
support QStyle based apps in the short term. If a C++ solution becomes
viable, yay, but I'm personally not putting much effort into it. The
QtQuick Controls style will continue to be the reference UI controls style
for the visual design and we will refine it during the validation period
(already have some work to do). Regarding the plasma widget theme, just let
us know the medium terms plans for how the QtQuick controls style will be
used and we'll adjust as necessary.

The plan all along, at least as far as I understood it, has been to slowly
phase this stuff in, over several releases if necessary, as we become
confident in their use for the default. I think that's the best plan and we
should stick to it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew Lake