Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 09:54:00 UTC 2014

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 21:19:44 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Saturday, April 12, 2014 08:15:53 PM Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > I meant to say that krunner might be stripped to just run applications
> > if that means that both milou and krunner can be included.
> > The functionality of krunner should just be that of a console line.
> > Only just a simple one line with the tab completion results below it.
> >

> > What krunner currently is capable of is awesome, but hardly ever used.
> > I hardly ever use it and i bet lots of the people using KDE don't use
> > it for activities, baloo/nepomuk results or even as a calculator. It's
> > cool to have from a technical showcase point of view but in reality
> > it's just not used that way. If people even know it's there to begin
> > with.
>
> you have no data to back that up claim up. This statement can be made both
> ways - I know people who love the calculator and the other runners than
> krunner provides.

Yeah, what the hack? This discussion has gone into "can we not just scrap 80%
of krunner's usefulness, because, the name krunner indicates run, and these
things don't start apps?". I see it as a minicli, and that is actually what it
was before. Having a simple plugin mechanism for this kind of thing is
awesome, and I wouldn't like to lose it at all, to a point where the "can we
remove it suggestion" makes me wonder "what the heck are we thinking?". The
user-revolt on removing something as useful as krunner will be rightfully and
justifyable negative.

The use-cases krunner satisfies are not just "launch apps" and "search in files
or documents".
--
sebas