Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Apr 12 07:14:38 UTC 2014

On Friday 11 April 2014 23:47:56 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2014 23:07:29 Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> > Just FYI the technical bits are waaaaaay beyond me (as most of you know) -
> > this is merely commenting on the design of the thing.
> >
> > Krunner is, for most new users, redundant. But for those users who know of
> > it - or remapped it to a nicer shortcut (Meta+Space for me) Krunner is
> > awesome. But having three paths and two of them vaguely hidden isn't a
> > great way to handle things. I think - and I know people will scream OSX so
> > loud you could shatter glass - is that we should make Milou an obvious
> > Spotlight version. Ween people on to using it to find files and folders?
> >
> > Yes it will be called "a copy" but hell it will make it at least usable.
>
> what i'm concerned more, more than a copy is the fact that having already
> one menu that does searches (and returns a subset of the very same results,
> even) is kinda silly, is the typical kde-fashin "dudes, wake up and decide
> one way or the other" in osx is perfectly fine where spotlight is because
> they don't have a menu with another search field just at the other side of
> the panel.

love it - replied on review board before seeing the replies here and wrote
more or less the same as Marco:

"My concern is more on how the users will see it. Will they understand that
Milou and Kickoff work differently or will they think that we ship redundant
features by default? So yes they serve a different purpose, but from an end
user perspective I rather doubt it."

Cheers
Martin